If you grew up in a household anything like mine then you will have been programmed from a very young age to believe that things like bleach, antiseptic and other harsh-smelling disinfectant cleaners are the best way to clean your home.
The problem with this is that chemical disinfectants are designed to kill germs instead of remove them, like soap does, and when you kill germs, the few left behind learn to adapt to disinfectants, eventually becoming superbugs!
These types of cleaners are also extremely toxic, they weaken our immune system and are lung irritants which means they degrade the strength and health of our lungs every time we breathe them in. (This is counterproductive when we need our immune system & lungs to protect us from pathogens).
Many of these chemical cleaners contain ingredients associated with autoimmune disease, hormonal imbalances, cancers, inflammatory disease, impaired development and the list goes on….
Are these really things we want to be exposing ourselves and our children to, unnecessarily?
Yes a healthy home does rely on cleanliness, especially when you have babies or young children around, and during cold and flu season. However we need to re-train ourselves to recognise that just because the house doesn't smell like bleach (like our parents did) doesn't mean it isn't clean.
So how do you remove germs instead of killing them?
Cleaning with a natural soap or cleaner like Cleanz is all you need to remove germs effectively.
For most areas around your home, we recommend Cleanz All Purpose with a microfiber cloth for effective germ removal.
For Bathrooms, toilets & showers we recommend our Bathroom spray.
A 3% Hydrogen peroxide solution can be used on most stubborn surface stains in place of bleach. Its also effective at removing blood from clothing, sheets and reusable menstrual pads, it is useful for those times when you need to disinfect areas of your home.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
What are Toxic Cleaning Products?
Toxic products contain one or more ingredients that can cause health or environmental harm. Many chemicals in cleaning products are considered toxic because they’ve been shown to cause ill health effects such as, developmental problems, respiratory disease, vomiting, nervous system disorders, endocrine disruption, obesity, skin conditions & burns.
Some can even be fatal if absorbed into the skin, inhaled or ingested. Labels on poisonous products such as “warning”, “danger” or caution” are definitely a red flag.
So now you're probably wondering, what can I clean with, that is non toxic and wont impact my health?
We've compiled a list of the products to avoid and non toxic replacements for a safer, healthier home.
Do you want to hear something that is both fascinating and freaky? If you put a frog in a pot of tepid water and then turn the element on, the water heats up slowly, and so, quietly & over time, the frog ends up being cooked alive, because the change is so gradual she doesn't realise the danger….until its simply too late.(Be advised, no frogs were harmed in the writing of this piece).